Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Restaurant Thai Fish Farm

Today I had lunch with a group of school moms.  My friends, Michelle and Jacquie, organize a lunch somewhere in KL once a month.  They always do a great job coming up with wonderful and unique dining experiences.  Today's choice was the Restaurant Thai Fish Farm.
This restaurant is located in Ampang.  I have spent lots of time in Ampang, but never in this area.  I left from KLCC and it took 30-40 minutes to arrive.  And it was not easy to find.  Well, my friend's driver knew just how to get there using his GPS.  But it didn't look easy to me.
I am showing this map so you can see the relative location of the fish farm.  It is the blue spot on the bottom right of map.
This is a closer look.  If you are heading out of Ampang, you will be on Hulu Langat road.  You will see Ampang Lookout on your left.  Soon after that, you will see the sign for the restaurant.  The one at the top of this blog post.  When you turn left, it looks as if you are going deep into the jungle.  You will follow a bumpy road and make some hairpin turns before you finally see the restaurant and fish pond.  You have arrived.  It is worth the drive!
What a fun group of gals!  It is never good to take a picture with sunlight behind.  :/ The restaurant is all open-air, under thatched roofs.  I have read that the place can accommodate 500 people.  When we first got here, we were the only customers. 
This place is extremely rustic.  But the rice container, not so much.
I actually arrived a little late to lunch.  Food had already been ordered.  Here is the lamb.
Morning glories!
Michelle and Chantal are digging into the salt-baked tilapia. Yum!  When eating this tilapia, beware of the bones!  At least they were big enough to make them easy to spot.
This was like a treasure hunt.  The fish was moist and tasty.
Fried spinach!!  The spinach had a tempura-like batter and it was delicious.
We all enjoyed the chicken pandan.
This was my second open-air event of the day.  Not a good hair day for me!
Set apart from the tables, is a floating stage.  There is live music every evening, from 7-11 pm.  I have no idea what kind of music.
There are pictures of menu items all along the rafters.
I asked for a diet coke.  Somehow the waiter thought I said Tiger beer!  He had already opened the bottle, so some of the ladies decided that it would be a shame to let it go to waste!
Najwa asked to see a menu.  This is the menu!  Not small by any means.  If you would like to see a more detailed menu, CLICK HERE.
This is where the tilapias are being raised.
I guess they need a lot of rice containers for 500 people!
Vegetables grown right on the property.
I believe you can purchase produce and seafood here to take home with you.
A view of some of the tables.
This is a small shrine right outside the entrance of the restaurant.  I included this picture because Joe has spent some time in rural Thailand.  This is very common.

Our lunch today was delicious and we had good service.  We enjoyed the location and all the dishes we ate.  Evenings may be a different story, however.  The road down to the restaurant can be very dark and a bit dangerous at night.  I have read that service is not that good when the place is crowded, as it tends to be at night.  We all plan on returning with our families.  But we will try to make it early for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment