Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Saturday Night Fever Musical at the Istana Budaya

Last night was so much fun!  I celebrated my forty-thirteenth birthday a little early.  The evening's plans?  Dinner and Saturday Night Fever The Musical.  
A few things to know about me--  I am just old enough to have caught the tail end of the whole disco craze,  I loved the Bee Gees, and I love to dance!  When I was 15 years old, I used to sneak into (with my parents' knowledge) the Red Lion disco with my sister and her boyfriend.  When I saw that this show was playing during my birthday, I couldn't believe my luck.
Celebration with friends!  Carey's husband was in the US, so her 'date' was Jennifer.  Kevin, Brenda, Joe, and me. 
We started the evening with dinner at Beato's Steakhouse.  There are two locations of Beato's, and this time we ate at the Bangsar location, on Jalan Telawi 3.  This is my third time to eat at Beato's, and the first time in Bangsar.  The Bangsar location is a little nicer, befitting a special occasion.  I did not take pictures of the food, but trust me, the steaks are amazing!  All the side dishes and this molten lava cake were also delicious.  
The show took place at Istana Budaya.  I have driven by this striking building so many times and was happy to finally have a reason to visit!
It was dark when we arrived, so I found these two pictures on the internet.
Once inside, we had to wait a bit before the theater doors opened.  Plenty of time for a photo op!
Here are the stars of the show-- Brandon Rubendall as Tony and Mikkie Bradshaw as Stepahnie.  They are both American, while the rest on the cast included some international actors.  Brandon was an amazing dancer and did a great job.  His singing was good, but not great.  Stephanie did a wonderful job all around.  Overall, this was a great show.  

I wasn't sure what to expect.  I have been to a lot of musicals in my time and have heard of lots more. I had never heard of this one.  It was originally produced in the late 90's in London then went to Broadway.  It has since been produced around the world.  The plot of the show follows the plot of the movie fairly closely.  It is strong in the dance numbers, and not so strong with all of the vocals.  And these tickets are not inexpensive. Expect to pay over $100 for good seats, about what I would pay on Broadway in New York.  If you will be in KL in the next week and want a chance to see a Broadway-style production, grab a ticket.  There are ticket outlets all over the city.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment