Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Monday, March 23, 2015

Savannah's Sixteenth Birthday Party!

There are no famous buildings in this blog post.  No palaces, temples, mountains, or movie sets.  (But  mountains and movie sets are coming soon!)  This blog post shows that family life goes on, no matter where your family is.  


I think I posted the above picture from our Christmas trip back to Texas.  That is Savannah turning 16, soon after Christmas.  We celebrated with family, but Savannah wanted a real birthday party.  With friends.  So we just had one, a little late.  But better late than never!


Where does one buy party supplies in KL?  The best place I have found is Spotlight!  If Jo-ann Fabric and Bed, Bath, and Beyond formed a joint venture, you would get Spotlight.  This location is in the Ampang Point shopping center.  


Here I am, waiting for balloons.  This store carries all sorts of party supplies, piñatas, costumes, fabrics, home decor stuff, bedding, kitchen items, tons of crafting supplies, etc.  My kind of place!


I needed a birthday cake for the party.  Normally I would have ordered a cake from Costco or a nice grocery store bakery. There are nice bakeries here, but I didn't want anything too fancy.  Since I couldn't find what I wanted, I decided to make my chocolate peanut-butter cupcakes.  I have made these cupcakes many times.  The chocolate cupcake is your basic Hershey's recipe:
The real secret, however, is Barefoot Contessa's peanut-butter icing:
When you click on the link, ignore the chocolate cupcake recipe.  Hershey's is much better!


Savannah said one is never too old for a goody bag!  I got the plain white bags at Spotlight (they come in several colors).  She stamped the chandelier, cut and pasted labels, and glued a rhinestone on the bag.  The goodies came from Chinatown.  About what you would put in an 8-year-old's goody bag!  :)


The real challenge was where to have the party!  I live in a nice apartment, but not big enough for 20 teens.  We needed to provide entertainment and food in one location.  No one wants to take their child to two different places in KL traffic.  The solution?  A scavenger hunt at The Curve Mall, with food at Bubba Gump.  That's right, Bubba Gump right here in KL!  We had the whole upper level to ourselves.  I just want to say, the manager and staff here were wonderful and very accommodating.  


Forrest Gump was playing in the corner.


This is Leah, Austin's girlfriend.  They don't offer a buffet at Bubba Gump.  I just ordered multiple servings of several dishes and they put them on platters and trays.  It worked out very well.


Completed goody bags!



Austin and Savannah


The kids were divided into five groups of four.  This was the list they were given.  They had a time limit and the team with the most points won.  By the way, this was all done with Instagram.  Each team created an account, took pictures of themselves as required, and posted the pictures.


Here I am, 'decorating' the cupcakes.


The white cupcakes are Italian Cream Cake with cream cheese icing.  I would have included the recipe I used but there is no easy link.  It is hand-written on an index card and I have used that recipe for almost 30 years.  Yikes!  That makes me feel old.



Hard to tell, but that silver star was a candle.


It took Austin and Leah quite a while to tally up the team scores.


The winning team!  The party turned out well.


We ended the weekend by taking our princess to see Cinderella.  Great movie!  Interesting to see movies with Bahasa (the Malaysian language) and Mandarin subtitles.


No comments:

Post a Comment