Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Out and About in Bangkok!

So, a couple of weeks ago, I went to Bangkok!  Joe was there on a business trip and Austin was also there to play rugby for his school team.  I decided to do a separate post on Austin.  I already did a post on the Grand Palace, which was amazing!  This blog post is on all the other stuff we did in Thailand in our short stay.


This was the view from our hotel room.  This is the Chao Phraya river, or the 'River of Kings'.

We stayed at the Shangri-La

Few facts about Thailand:
There are over 400 Buddhist temples in Bangkok
95% of Thailand is Buddhist
Population of Bangkok is about 10 million
The movie 'The King and I' was banned in Thailand because of inaccuracies
There are 21 vowels in the Thai alphabet


On my first night, Joe had a business dinner.  I went on a dinner cruise with my friend Mary Ellen, whose husband was also at the business dinner.  The dinner cruise departed from the Shangri-La. 


I have been looking all over for that little book in the previous picture.  It would help me explain some of the following pictures.  I was hoping to tell you the name of this bridge.   No luck.  This was a two hour dinner cruise.  I was not that optimistic about the quality of the buffet, but I have to say, the food was great.  I have never been disappointed with the 'hotel food' at any of the Shangri-Las.  


Our boat was pretty plain, nothing like these floating discos!  We passed several of these, with loud music blaring from the top deck.  On one of them, I saw an Elvis impersonator!  But my surreal moment was floating down a river boat in Bangkok, Thailand, watching people line dance to 'Achy Breaky Heart'!!!!


Temple of Dawn or Wat Arun, a Buddhist temple dating back to the 17th century


This is the only church I saw in Bangkok.  I couldn't find the name.


The Mandarin Oriental Hotel across the river


The entire cruise was a wonderful experience!

Jenny, me, Mary Ellen

When Jenny and the guys finished their business dinner, we headed over to Lebua, 'the world's highest open air bar' and 'the most stunning rooftop bar'.  It really was amazing!  So amazing that a lot of Hangover 2 was filmed there.  Lebua is on the 64th floor and has beautiful views of the city.



My Hangovertini


The next afternoon, Joe and I took a little time and went walking around the hotel.


It is hard to get past the sheer number of wires and cables running over the streets.




These are tuk tuks, or motorized rickshaws.  I read lots of tips saying to stay away from tuk tuks!  Many of the drivers try to rip you off.  But here is another side note.  I got a 'limo' from the airport to take me to my hotel.  The ATO company has very nice Camrys to take you around.  I was told by a friend that this would be about $40, much cheaper than ordering a car from the hotel.  So I went to the counter and asked how much to the Shangri-La.  Lady told me 2700 baht, or about $80.  I knew that was too much.  I said, "I heard it was cheaper than that."  She replied, 2000 baht.  I countered with 1500.  She said, okay, 1400. ...  So I got the Camry for $43, what I was expecting to pay.  And this happened at an airport counter, where I would not expect haggling or price gouging.  


Joe ordered a shirt and he picked it up the next day!


I tried on some sapphire rings.  Thailand is well-known for their sapphires and rubies.  It fact, 90% of the shops seemed to be either tailors, jewelers, massage parlors, or restaurants.  By the way, this $3000 beauty stayed at the store.


The Shangri-La hotel sign on other side as we walked to the sky train.  Here is a picture of the king, who is well-loved.  The politicians, not so much.


The sky train was very clean and very efficient.  We were a little confused a couple of times, and both times a very helpful train employee came to our rescue!


I remember the first time I travelled from Oman to the Dubai Mall.  I saw three people I knew!  Well, I ran into my friend, Cindy, at this store.  She was in Bangkok to watch her girls at the tournament, where Joe and I were headed the next day.   This store was at the Amarin Plaza and popular with some of my friends.  Lots of hammered stainless steel at good prices.


I know I have three pictures of these amazing topiaries!  The streets of Bangkok are not necessarily the most attractive, but these topiaries were worthy of Disney!!



I drove by them several times, and kept trying to get the best shots.  Not that easy with the crazy traffic, but this is a great shot with no cars in front.


I found this picture on the internet--the real thing.


Part of my shopping in Bangkok was for things I couldn't easily find in KL, like good affordable home decor fabric. I went to this outlet where there was five floors of fabrics, clothing, and home accessories.  Joe bought more than I did.  He got two elephant shirts and I got some gifts.  But if you want to reupholster your couch, this is the place to go.


We took a taxi to the store, but walked from store to the train station to ride the sky train back.  On the way, we passed lots of lunch options.  This stall just happened to be selling fried silk worms and some sort of beetle!!!  We politely declined to purchase.



This night we had dinner at the Mandarin Oriental.  I always love the floral displays at these hotels.


Live music in the lobby


We ate at The Veranda, overlooking the river.  It was a beautiful evening, a beautiful atmosphere, and delicious food.

Next on agenda, rugby!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog Wanda! Love the Achey Breaky Heart story. I think he is pretty well known over there. lol The flowers are gorgeous and the sparkler too. Nice Joe get get some quality shirts. The silk worms and beetles I would have passed on too. Perhaps on amazing Race....you might run into some contestants :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading about your trip to Bangkok. That's some sapphire ring. :)

    ReplyDelete