Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving in KL 2014

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!  Today was our first Thanksgiving in KL, our third out of the US.  But unlike Oman, today was a regular school and work day.  Well, not at the Holmes house!  We celebrated the day with our fellow American friends.


The table set for lunch.  It was challenging to decorate for Thanksgiving with no access to real pumpkins, acorns, fall leaves, or other common 'fall' decor.  I made up for it with my faux pumpkins and lots of fresh flowers.


Just letting you see some of the views from our apartment.  There are the Petronas Twin towers and the KL tower.


The view from this direction.


This is our elevator lobby.  Welcoming our Thanksgiving guests.


Last year, in Oman, we had to watch rugby after our Thanksgiving meal.  We tried something new this year.  Austin found a UT (American) football game on You Tube and hooked up his computer to our tv.  Classic football!


It was a pretty and clear day in KL.  High of 93. 


Which game did we choose to watch?  The national championship game of 2005.  If you are going to watch classic football, make it the best!


Me, Peg, Allison.  Yes, I know my eyes are closed.  You wouldn't believe how often that happens.


Kevin, John, and Tony watching another game in the den.  Which game was this?  The Dallas Cowboys game from Sunday.  Another rule of classic football?  Pick games where your favorite team wins!  By the way, this room is painted orange.  We love the color!  First time in my life I have painted a room orange.




Like I mentioned, we had lots of fresh flowers.  I bought them in Chinatown, by Peter Hoe's.  Allison arranged them for me and did a great job!


Here I am, slicing the beef tenderloin roast.  This is the beef tenderloin I bought at Lucky Frozen.  It was delicious, if I do say so myself.  I say that because I don't make tenderloin that often and I am always relieved when it comes out well.  I got the recipe from my friend, Mary, in Oman.  And I am sharing it with y'all.



I made the beef, two turkey breasts (that easily fit in my oven), a German Chocolate cake, and Chocolate Pecan pie.  Everyone else brought the yummy side dishes, rolls, and extra desserts.  I found a great recipe for the turkey breasts.  Here it is:



The whole gang!  A great blessing to have made such good friends in our short time in KL.



So this picture was taken later in the afternoon.  This is one of the things we love about the views from our apartment-- the rapidly-changing cloud formations.   We have also seen two complete rainbows in the last few weeks!


Girl time and dessert while the guys cheer for the Cowboys.


We ended the afternoon with a game:  Left, Right, Center.  We each played with three one-ringgit bills, and the winner ended up with all the bills.


Krystal, our big winner!  I think she won a total of $13.


I set the centerpiece on this sofa table while I cleared up.  I love the way it goes with my newly reupholstered lime green crushed velvet love seat!

I hope y'all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!  May it be a day filled with food, fun, and laughter as we are thankful for all our blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment