Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Marine Corps Ball 2014

On November 10, 2014, it was the 239th birthday of the United States Marine Corps.  It was my privilege to attend a Birthday Ball for the second year in a row.  I don't know how the Marine Corps balls work in the US, but both of the balls I have attended have been overseas, where there are Marines guarding our foreign embassies.  The Marine Security Guard program covers more than 150 detachments at Embassies, Consulates, and other diplomatic missions around the world.

I have been asked how Joe and I were able to attend the ball since we are not in the military.  Tickets are available to the public, and we bought ours through the American Association of Malaysia.  But only because there was a last-minute cancellation.  Tickets sell out fast!


I had to find all the pieces to Joe's formal ensemble.  When one unpacks, one is sometimes ready to just put things away.  It can be a game of hide-and-go-seek to find things again.  Or in my case, remember-where-I-hid-things!  I made the Texas bow tie for Joe and our daughter, Amanda, bought him the Texas shirt studs.  Not really sure why Texans are so proud of our flag, but we are.  :)  Joe enjoyed getting a handshake from several fellow Texans.


I must say, red is not the most original dress color for a Marine Ball.  Last year, Savannah had fun taking pictures of her dad and me.  She said she felt like a mom at prom.  :)  But this ball was on a Friday evening, and started at 6:00. My kids were not even home from school when we had to leave! So Joe took a picture of me.


It took both of us to take this selfie!


And I had to get one of Joe!  Love the mirrored-elevator shot.


Found a friend to take one of both of us!  The ball was held in the JW Marriott.  There was a cocktail hour from 6:00-7:00.  We missed half of it due to terrible traffic.





My favorite part of the ceremony is when they post the colors and play the National Anthem.  It does my heart good to place hand over heart.



But before the National Anthem, the guest of honor and guest speaker walk down with the marines.  The guest of honor was American Ambassador to Malaysia Joseph Y. Yun.  The guest speaker was Lieutenant General John A. Toolan Jr.


The ceremony continued with speeches and the cutting of the birthday cake.  Then dinner.  Then dancing.


The Suvegs and the Holmeses


The Monzellas



Andreina Casey (who got there even later due to traffic), me, Mary Ellen and Peg.  Andreina was my main dancing partner for the evening!  We had a good time dancing, but I have to say, I am looking forward to the next Latin Ball.  Now that ball will really be just about the dancing!!

Dancing aside, it was wonderful to pay tribute to and remember our armed forces who serve our great country, all over the world!  God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment