Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Friday, October 10, 2014

Shanghai!

On Wednesday, we set out from Beijing to Shanghai.


Blue skies! Sunshine!  This is the only nice weather I saw in Beijing.  On the way to the train station.  


This is how we got to Shanghai-- the bullet train!  


The traveling speed is posted at the front of the train. The fastest speed I saw was 305 km/h, or 191 mph.  By comparison, the Metra commuter trains in Chicago top out at 79 mph, or 127 km/h.  I looked up how fast Amtrak passenger trains go, and the fastest one travels at 150 mph, or 240 km/h.  Anyways, it took about 5 hours for the trip, and we were in very comfortable seats in the business class section.  


I enjoyed getting the chance to see some of the countryside.


This is Shanghai at night!  We ate at a wonderful restaurant with these amazing views.  The views literally took my breath away.  I had no idea!


The Bund, as this area is called, is the historic section of Shanghai, with many of the buildings on this side being of Western architecture.  Many of the buildings are late 19th century.


Across the Huangpu River is the 'new' Shanghai, with lots of wonderful buildings.  This was one my favorite, the Oriental Pearl Radio and TV Tower.  


It was constantly changing colors.




New Heights, where we ate.  Good food and even better views!


The view of Shanghai from the 30th story of our hotel.  I have never in my life seen such a huge concentration of skyscrapers!  Depending on who you spoke to, population is 20-25 million people.  Either way, that is a lot of people!!!


So it is now Thursday and I am on my own again, while Joe works.  I booked a 'Best of Shanghai' tour with Viator.  A van came to get me at 8:45.  I was the only passenger in the tour.  I had a large van, driver, and tour guide to myself the whole day.  Having the driver made all the difference.  We did so much in one day!  Our first stop was the Shanghai Museum, located on the People's Square.  I made good use of my hour there.  It was not a large museum, and I enjoyed the calligraphy, Chinese art, antique furniture, and sculptures.  But my favorites were the Chinese pottery, as in the above picture.


Next, I was taken to a Pearl Gallery.  This lady was showing me the difference between a salt water oyster, on the left, and a freshwater oyster, on the right.  She also told me how to tell the difference between real and fake pearls.  This place is government-owned and there is gentle pressure to buy.  But I resisted.  Not really into pearls.  The next stop was a silk gallery.  I didn't get any pictures of the gallery, since I had been to one in Beijing.  But I was more interested in silk, and did end up buying some.  But I think I could have bought the silk cheaper in the US!


On to the Jade Buddha Temple.  My guide, Frank, asked me if I had been to a Buddhist temple before.  I was surprised to realize I had not!


This temple was founded in 1886, so it is considered a 'modern' temple.


Very serene...


amongst a bustling city.



Now I got to see the Bund in the daytime.  Fabulous picture spot, taken on the walkway along the river.  The funny look on my face is because in all that stuff I had in my black bag, I forgot my sunglasses!


This picture was taken from the street, and you can see that this wall is covered in flower and plants.  I loved it!  Close-up of wall coming later.


I asked Frank, "Where to next?"  He replied, "We are going to the old city."  This is the Old City.  Or also known at the Old Town.  I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this.  This was like a huge, Chinese-looking outdoor mall.  There were tons of stores and restaurants.  Reminded me of a fancy souk.  I thought I was there to wander and shop, but Frank kept walking.  I finally realized we were headed to a particular spot in the Old City.  Honestly, I could have spent a whole day there, browsing and shopping.  I passed lots of beautiful things.  Next time!


This is where we were headed-- the Yayuan Gardens.  Talk about being transported back in time!


These gardens were built between 1559-1577, by an Administrative Commissioner in the Ming government.  He missed his parents and wanted them to live with him.  So he tried to recreate their country environment in the city.  The area is over 5 acres. 




The place was large, with so many different spots.  Each more delightful than the last.


300-year-old wisteria vines!


Most amazing wall I have seen.  The dragon's body runs along the top of the wall.


There was even a courtyard area with a stage.


Our last stop of the day-- Xintiandi shopping area.  This is a European-style shopping area, with 'streets' where there are no cars allowed.  There are some stores, and even more restaurants.  I did manage to make Frank stop long enough for me to buy a gorgeous handbag!  After this, I was dropped back off at the hotel, around 4 pm.  I can't believe all I saw in less than 8 hours!


That evening, Joe and I went back to the Bund, so he could see the area in daylight.


The wall, close up!  We ate an early dinner and headed back to the hotel.  I really enjoyed my day in Shanghai and hope I get to return some day.  We had a very early pick-up scheduled for the next day.  Off to see the Terracotta Warriors!!!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous views. The flowered wall, the dragon on the building, you did see a lot. Great tour guide!

    ReplyDelete