Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Beijing in One Day!

When I realized both my kids would be gone for a week on school trips at the same time,  I knew Joe and I had to take advantage of that week.  I loved the idea of a vacation where I wouldn't have to keep two teens happy.  We threw around a few ideas, but then Joe said, "I have to be in China that week.  Do you want to come along?  Maybe you can see the Great Wall."  I have to say, China has never been on my bucket list, but hey, why not?  I would have to buy my own airline ticket, but hotels would be covered for the most part.  

Joe needed to be in Beijing for two days, then we would take the train to Shanghai.  A day there and then back to KL.  I knew I would be on my own for three days, so I got online and booked three days' worth of tours on Viator.com.  Easy as that!

We flew into Beijing late Sunday night.  I couldn't get the tour I wanted, so I booked a private tour guide.  Jason showed up at my hotel early in morning.  Now this was just the guide.  He didn't come with a car.  We took taxis everywhere, which were not always easy to get, nor were the drivers always cooperative.  And, they don't speak English, just so you know.  But we managed.


On our way to the Forbidden City.  I asked what these huge floral decorations were for.  Were they always there?  No, they were getting ready for their huge independence day celebration, on October 1.  Jason told me I was lucky to not have come that week.  There will be tons of people out and about.


As we were walking up to the Forbidden City, these rectangles were pointed out to me.  Turns out that each rectangle is a toilet!  When there are large crowds, privacy screens are put up around them.  Hey, you never know what you are going to learn.



That is Tiananmen Square.  More floral decor going up for Independence Day.


The first gate to the Forbidden city.  There are lots of walls and gates and red buildings.


Unfortunately, this is not the last picture you will see of me so heavily laden.  Bag and camera bag.  So, this is about the time that Jason turns to me and says, "Oh, it's Monday! The Forbidden City is closed on Mondays."..... This really happened.  This is as much as I got to see.  But I did at least get to walk around and learn some history.


There is so much to be said about the Forbidden City.  Here is a link if you would like more history.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/china/beijing/sights/historic/forbidden-city



As we were leaving, I asked if I could take pictures of the guards.  Jason replied no just after I had snapped the picture.


Close-up of the eaves.  They were so beautiful.



The outside walls of the actual Forbidden City.


 So, on to a neighborhood street so we could hail a taxi.  Beautiful storefront.  We weren't having much luck.  I told Jason about an app we have in Kl, 'My Teksi', where we can call for a taxi.  He said they something like that too in Beijing, and used it.  We finally got a taxi.


Next, we went to the Summer Palace.  This palace was built for the royal family in the 1700's, with a man-made lake and man-made 'mountain'.


Beautiful flower topiaries.  This reminded me a bit of the Miracle Gardens in Dubai.


I thought this wall was so beautiful.  I did miss my kids when it was time to take pictures.  I prefer pictures with people in them.  :)


The lake and mountain.







I really enjoyed watching this older gentleman.  He was writing calligraphy on the pavement with water.  It was cool to watch.


Then when he was finished, he turned to me and asked where I was from.  I said, "United States."  So he wrote United States in calligraphy and challenged me to copy it.  May I say, I have never done Chinese calligraphy before and it was tough!

 



 He graded me and I got an 85%!  I am good with that.  :)


This is one of my favorite pictures of the whole week in China.  I told Jason that when I think of China, this is the image that comes to my mind.


So, this man sits out here every day, according to Jason.  He is certainly dresses the part!


So, next, Jason takes me to a place for lunch.  Where do we go?



To Chinatown!!!!  In China!!!  I have been to Chinatown in San Francisco, New York City, London,  and Kuala Lumpur, but never dreamed that there would be a Chinatown in China.  Who knew?


After lunch, we headed to Dr. Tea, for a tea tasting.


Sunny showed me show to properly hold a tea cup.  She also let me taste several types of tea.  Some of them were very good, but too expensive for me.  I am perfectly happy with my English Breakfast teabags!


Next, we went to a Silk Gallery.  These are government owned tourist destinations.  They show you how silk is made and then encourage you to buy silk items.  If you come to one of these shops expecting bargains, forget it.  But I am holding a silk worm's cocoon, wrapped in silk threads.


This machine extracts the threads and spins in into more usable threads.


Every once in a while, two silk worms will form one cocoon.  These double cocoons are stretched out and stacked in layers to form a silk quilt.  It was interesting.


Our last stop of the day was the Temple of Heaven.


There is a lovely park outside of the temple, and we could hear music as these couples were dancing outdoors.  I loved it!



Here it is, the Temple of Heaven.  This is where the emperor would come to pray to the heavens twice a year.  In the spring, to ask for a plentiful harvest, and in the fall to thank the heavens for the harvest.  There was a beautiful bride (or model) behind me, trying to take pictures.  Too many tourists.  I hope her photographer was able to cut them out.  She had a glorious red dress with a long train.


I went back and added these pictures into the blog post.  It was such an amazing dress.  Here she is, alone on the stairs right when we walked up.


But not for long.  This little boy wanted in on the action!  :)


This is where the emperor stayed before the prayers.


So ended my day in Beijing!  It was wonderful!!


1 comment:

  1. Someday I hope to get there. Until then, I'm enjoying your reports!!

    ReplyDelete