Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sea Container!

Since the first day we arrived in KL, one question has been on my family's mind-- when is our sea container going to get here???  I thought I did the smart thing.  I had our house in Oman all packed up and shipped out at the end of June, and then the kids and I headed off to the US for five weeks.  Since Oman is not that far from KL, I optimistically expected our stuff to be waiting for us.   Now I know it has to go through customs at either end.  I also knew I was cutting it close to Ramadan (a Muslim holiday I won't go into detail here describing, but in Oman it does involve a month of shortened working hours.)  Well, it took three weeks just to leave Oman, due to Ramadan.  Then it sat in KL for a while, but it did finally arrive! 

So what is it about our stuff?  My father was in the military, and I vividly remember our move from Germany to Texas when I was 12 years old.  I remember the long anticipation and the happiness of delivery of our household goods.  Some things never change.  :)


Stuff!  Albeit well disguised.


It's amazing how happy I was to work so hard!


A little tea break with my favorite mug!  I did wash it first.


Housewarming flowers from Brenda and Allison.  Perfect colors!

So what was I happiest to see?  (In no particular order.)


My antique doors and orange chairs.  This is the first thing I see when I step off the elevator and it makes me smile.   (Color change on wall coming next week!)


My Turkish pottery.  Needed something to play off the red kitchen cabinets!


My Kitchen Aid mixer.  Savannah is having friends over tonight and I will be making my chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter icing.


My Nespresso machine!  I have no idea what I was thinking, not putting this is my air shipment.  But I was still being optimistic.  It was hard enough to go without it all summer. 


My good iron.  Joe had an iron here that we paid ten dollars for.  Guess what?  If you pay ten dollars for an iron, you get a $10 iron!  I am a wrinkle-phobe, and the cheap iron just didn't cut it.


This is what Austin was looking forward to the most-- his desk!  With only one rental table in the whole apartment, Austin spent a lot more time with us than he prefers!  Savannah was smart and put most of her stuff in the air shipment, so she was good.  But we did all enjoy sleeping in our own beds!

Everything is pretty much unpacked and put away.  Handyman comes next week to hang all pictures and do some painting, so we are well on our way to being settled.  Good thing, because we all have some big adventures coming up in the next few weeks!



1 comment:

  1. This was a fun read as I know how excited you were to receive your things!

    ReplyDelete