Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Monday, January 29, 2018

Farewell Kuala Lumpur!

Our time in KL has come to an end.  It has been a fabulous 3+ years in Malaysia!  We arrived as a family of four and Joe and I left as empty nesters.  Our two youngest learned to drive, got their first licenses, and graduated from high school in KL.  Not to mention the countries they have visited.  Too many great experiences to recount!

I just want to say, "Thank you KL!"  Thank you for the warm weather so I got to wear short sleeves and pretty sandals every day of the year.  Thanks for the friends I made, friends for life.  Thanks for giving my children a wonderful high school education.  Thanks for giving us friends from around the world.   Thanks for all the wonderful cultures represented in this welcoming country.  Thanks for being so close to so many amazing travel destinations.  Thanks for the reasonable prices that made enjoying life here easier.

We have been back in the US for a few weeks now.  A friend of mine asked me if I was going to blog about the repatriation process.  I am not.  But here are a few observations about being back in the US:

1- I have to pay close attention to the weather forecast.  And I have had to do lots of shopping!  5+ years in the desert and jungle has not left my wardrobe prepared for winter!  (And we also had to buy a snow shovel...)
2-  I have also had to pay attention to which side of the car I get into!  Malaysians drive on the left side of the road, not the right.  (I didn't drive in Malaysia, so at least I don't have that transition.)
3- US money is all green and the same size.  I have to look carefully when I am paying.  :)
4-  When you go to the doctor, you have to go to a pharmacy to get your prescription filled.  In Malaysia, you left the office with all medication in hand.  That was nice.  (Although I am loving not having to file claims for all medical expenses!)
5- Grocery shopping takes a bit longer.  There are so many good options!  And when did grocery stores get so fancy?  I was buying groceries yesterday and there was a man playing on a baby grand piano!
6- Our travel schedule is much different.  No Australia, Thailand, Bali, China, Cambodia, ect.  Now our travel plans are much more domestic, visiting family and friends in the US.  But I sure do have some precious grandchildren, so that is okay!
7-  And just to be real, I had wonderful help in KL.  Someone to clean my house and do the ironing.  A wonderful driver who also ran errands.  I am amazed at how much time housework takes!  Although it is like riding a bike--  I haven't forgotten how.  ;)

So again, thanks KL!  Till we meet again!


No comments:

Post a Comment