Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Deepavali (and Halloween) in KL

Malaysian citizens are made up of three major ethnic groups-- Indian, Chinese, and Malay.  This is evident in the four major holidays celebrated and decorated for in KL.  The holidays are Chinese New Year (or Lunar New Year), Hari Raya (the Muslim celebration at the end of Ramadan), Deepavali, and Christmas.   I am finally blogging about Deepavali.  This is my third year to experience and enjoy the beauty of these holiday decorations.

Deepavali (also known as Diwali), is the festival of lights.  It occurs in either October or November, depending on the Hindu lunar calendar.  This year it fell on October 30.  Hindus celebrate the holiday with gift exchanges (our local grocery store had amazing gift baskets), fireworks, and special meals. 

I have been gathering pictures of the stunning decorations around the city.  Every  mall I have been in has had elaborate decor.
 These designs are all on the floor.  They are made of RICE.  That's right, rice.  Hence the ropes around all the designs.
 Mid-Valley Mall 
 A different mall, a different design.  These are very elaborate and finely detailed.
Bangsar Shopping Center
Sunway Pyramid Mall

This was in the grocery store inside Bangsar Shopping Center.
The peacock and peacock feathers are heavily featured in Deepavali decorations.  But this is the first time I had seen a balloon peacock!!
This design is in the elevator lobby in my building.  The first year we lived here, there was no barrier around the design.  As you can imagine, it didn't last long before there was some damage.  Last year they began putting up the small fencing.  Good idea.  The black part of the design looks to be colored sand, also commonly used.  Our condo complex is also decorated with colorful garlands and strands of lights.

I would be remiss if I blogged about Deepavali but failed to mention Halloween.  I don't have as many pictures of Halloween because I wasn't planning on blogging about it.  But there were Halloween decorations and celebrations everywhere around KL.  Yes, malls and stores had simultaneously decorated for both holidays.

This was the pumpkin display at Village Grocer.  The big pumpkin with the hat would set you back over 1000 rm, or over $250!
This was the main stage area at Bangsar Shopping Center this weekend.  They put on an elaborate festival in the mall.  There are lots of activities for the kids and they go around trick-or-treating in the stores.  As I sat in my favorite coffee shop yesterday, I was surrounded by small witches, cowboys, super heroes, princesses, and the like.  
                                                                   Joe and Savannah

I have a friend who lived in London.  I remember wondering if they celebrated Halloween there at all. Well let me tell you, Halloween is alive and well in Kuala Lumpur.  Just not necessarily on October 31.  Especially if it conflicts with Deepavali!  

P.S.  I have seen the beginning of Christmas decorations!

No comments:

Post a Comment