Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Thursday, August 6, 2015

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

What a summer!  The kids and I spent a fabulous six weeks in the US, visiting Texas, Pennsylvania, and Chicago.  We spent a lot of time with family and friends.  We also did quite a bit of shopping.  Austin (and later, Joe) flew to the US with a smaller suitcase inside a larger suitcase.  That way, we had two large empty suitcases to fill with our purchases.  And we really did not have a pound to spare!  We all got new clothes and shoes, which are easier for us to buy in the US.  We also bought favorite beauty products and some food treats.  Let's just say-- I put my Target Redcard to good use!  


Aside from shopping and family, we went on a couple of college visits.  After all, I now have a junior and senior in high school!  College is coming soon.  This picture was taken at Baylor University in Waco, Texas.


This was fun!  All of us in this picture live/have lived in Muscat, Oman!  Here are my friends Rosemary, Paula, Jennifer, and their kids.  We had great Mexican food in The Woodlands, Texas.


While in Texas, another friend named Jennifer (I have lots of good friends named Jennifer) and I spent a girl's weekend in Houston, at the wonderful and quirky Hotel Zaza.  This was the hotel shuttle.


Zaza's art on the wall


and in the elevator!  :)


Next was 4th of July in Mineola!  Joe's dad's property.  As you can tell, East Texas had a very rainy spring.



This picnic was for Joe's dad's family.  They have had a July 4th picnic every year for like 40 years.


I couldn't resist taking a picture of the dish towel hanging in the kitchen.  :)


Everything is bigger in Texas!  Including our rental car.  This was a LOT different than what Austin was used to driving in Malaysia!



We had a great time in McKinney, staying with my sister, Diana.


But the highlight of the summer was the week spent with all my children and COOPER, my adorable grandson.  We rented a house in the Poconos Mountains, in Pennsylvania.  Here are my four kids, son-in-law, and Cooper.


Lots of great hiking


He is just about the cutest baby boy out there.  Not that I am biased or anything.



We stayed in the resort community of Buck Hill Falls, named for this beautiful waterfall.


Cooper doesn't get any pool time in New York City, so he loved his floatie!


One happy Grandma!


We got to celebrate Cooper's first birthday.


My Amanda and her Cooper


The evenings were just cool enough to enjoy roasting marshmallows for s'mores.


Cooper having fun with Grandpa (Joe), who joined us in Pennsylvania.


The timer function of the iPhone is great!



After the Poconos, we spent a few days at Jared's new house in Philadelphia.
Savannah and Austin had just finished taking AP US History.  Savannah really wanted to visit the Liberty Bell.  That is Independence Hall in the background, where the Declaration of Independence and US Constitution were debated and adopted (for my non-American viewers.)  The Liberty Bell is "an iconic symbol of American independence".


We helped Jared decorate his guest room


and pick out a rug, furniture, and paint colors for the living room and main floor.


Then a week in Chicago.  Love Chicago!  Day


or night!



Jennifer (the third one in this post), Menda, me, Amy, and Amy all enjoyed dinner and 'Kinky Boots'.


Our last weekend was spent with our dear friends Ginny and David.  We have known them since we were all newlyweds, more than 30 years!  Ginny got to dance at my Amanda's wedding and Joe and I had a fabulous time dancing at their Elizabeth's wedding.  I may or may not have led the conga line at both weddings.  :)

As an expat with no home in the US, summers are crazy busy, living out of suitcases and going from host to host.  Thanks to my sister, my mom, Joe's dad, Jared, and friends Theresa and Jennifer III for being such great hosts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment