Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Buying American Food in KL!

So, I have been in KL for about a month.  A lot of that time has been spent trying out different grocery stores.  I have been to small ones (Jason's Food Hall), large ones (Tesco), hip ones (B.I.G.), local ones (TMC), and some in malls (Village Grocer).  I have found a few American brands in these stores, but very few.  FYI, Pillsbury made in India does NOT taste the same as American Pillsbury.  I always check to see where the product is made.  And while you are checking, check the expiration dates!  Anyways, I had been told that American brands could be found.  I finally ventured to a different part of KL, Ampang, to try out these two stores.


The first store I went to was Ampang Grocers.  I had been told Ampang Mini-mart, so I wasn't sure I was in the right place.  I overheard a lady speaking in an American accent, so of course I went right up to her, introduced myself, and asked if I was in the right store.  She assured me I was!  Look! Betty Crocker brownies!  Sometimes it is just enough to know they can be bought.  I didn't buy any that day.  :)  



Newman's!  Tostitos!  Old El Paso!


Skippy!  Jif!  I did buy the Oceanspray cranberry sauce.  I could never find it in Oman, so I am saving it for Thanksgiving, which I will be hosting again this year.  And for the non-Americans, Vegemite.



The food is not all American.  You can get your chicken feet here too!



I could insert some fancy map here, but here's the card, instead.  :)


On our way to the next store, we just happened to pass the store Ambiance.  They have four locations in KL, with one of them being in Ampang.  In case you have never visited an Ambiance, you should! It carries furniture, art, home accessories, jewelry, stationery, candles, etc, most with an Asian feel.  Beautiful stuff!


The Ampang location has a small cafe.  Since it was lunchtime, Brenda and I stopped for some pumpkin and feta quiche and salad.  It was very good!




After Ambiance, we made it to the next grocery store, Hock Choon.  Now does Hock Choon sound like the name of a store that sells lots of American food?  Well, it does!


Does it get any more American than Kraft Macaroni and Cheese??


Oh, the Mexican food  I can make!  And I actually saw real corn tortillas.  I never saw those the whole time in Oman.


But again, we are in an Asian country.  Lots of fresh seafood.  

Hock Choon is at 241-1, Jalan Ampang, Taman U Thant.  I was told after my visit that there is valet parking.  I didn't see it, but then I wasn't looking for it.

For the record, I have tried to adapt to more local brands.  Just know that all these American brands cost about double what they would in the US.  $7 for a bag of potato chips is about normal.  And cereal?  Forget about it!

Have fun shopping, y'all!  Maybe I'll see you at one of these stores when it gets closer to Thanksgiving.  Hopefully they will carry turkeys.  (Not that a turkey would fit in my oven.  But that will be another blog post!)



No comments:

Post a Comment